Pick up the phone

by - February 04, 2019

“Come on.. Pick up the phone god damn it!”, Zach says in a frustrating tone. “She’s still not picking up her phone?”, Claire asks. Zach weakly looks up at Claire and shakes his head. “Look, if we want to make this project work, Jade needs to learn to commit!”, Claire sighs speaks in a rather higher tone than her usual voice. “I know.. I know”, Zach replies. Zach stands up and leaves to find Jade. He makes his way to the school library as Jade would always go there to study or probably to borrow books. Along the way, Zach tries to call Jade again but it always end up going straight to voicemail. Zach reaches the library and looks around like a lost puppy trying to find his mother. “Okay.. okay, where would Jade normally sit?”, Zach thinks to himself. “Looking for something?”, Amelia, one of the school’s librarian asks him. “Well, its more of a someone instead… I was wondering if you’ve seen a brunette girl with curly hair here today? I can’t describe to you what she’s wearing because I haven’t been able to contact her for a week”, Zach explains to Amelia. Amelia shows a questioning face to Zach and says she can’t exactly say for sure if she’s seen someone whom Zach spoke of but she said she saw a brunette girl yesterday in the library late at night. “Was she studying here yesterday?”, Zach asks. “I don’t know man, all I saw was that she was frantically looking through a couple of medical books and she looked really stressed out? Man.. what a poor sight..”, Amelia trails off. “Um okay, thanks then”, Zach says and leaves the library. “Medical books? Really Jade..”, Zach sighs. Something might be wrong.. or maybe not.. or maybe yes.. Right now Zach is just more curious rather than feeling worried for Jade. Zach thinks hard about possible places Jade could have went before she went on a 24/7 silent mode on him. He then heads off to Jade’s dorm room. After he arrives, another problem soon arises. He doesn’t have the Jade’s darn room key. Zach quickly looks to his left and right to make sure no one is watching. Being a sneaky ass he is, he tries to crash the door open. Unfortunately, the door was actually ALREADY OPEN and Zach falls face flat as soon as he crashes the door open. “ARGH!”, Zach groans in pain. “What the..” Zach is shocked at how messy Jade’s room is considering that Jade is an OCD kind of person. “Man, what’s happening to you, Jade..?”, Zach says as he wonders around Jade’s room. As Zach is about to walk to Jade’s study room, he accidentally kicked on something and it rolled under Jade’s bed. “Damn it!”, Zach hissed under his breath. He quickly bends down and stretches his arm under the bed to reach for the item. Zach then finds out that the item he picked up is a pill bottle. He spins it around to check the description written on the bottle. ‘CONTRACEPTIVE PILLS. CONSUME 3 TIMES A DAY.’ “Contraceptive pills..? Aren’t these pills taken by women to prevent periods? Unless…” *KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK* Zach’s thoughts were taken aback as he heard the door knock. “Who’s there?”, Zach asks. “Cleaning service”, the person outside the door answers. “Could you come back about half an hour later? I need to pack a few things..”, Zach lies. “All right”, the person says and leaves. Zach then continues to search Jade’s room. He manage to find a bunch of foolscap paper all over Jade’s study table. While he reads through a few of Jade’s handwritten stuff, he tries to call Jade’s number again. Once again, the call went to voicemail. After reading a few boring articles which he assume were lecture notes that were handwritten by no other than Jade herself. But, one of the papers caught Zach’s attention. Among all of the papers on Jade’s desk, only this one had a title on it. “TO: ZACH(A FRIEND I COULD NEVER FIND)”. Curious, Zach reads the paper. 

Hi Zach.
It’s Jade, you know, your really weird-looking friend (haha). So, you must be wondering why I’m writing this letter to you.., well i’ll explain it to you soon. Firstly, I’m really sorry that I have been shutting you out for about a week now?, and I have my reasons for doing so. I just want you to know that whatever that happened to us has nothing to do with you. It’s all on me. All of it. Everything. I mean it. Oh, also, congrats on dating that girl.. what’s her name again? Clara is it? No I think its Claire.. anyway yea I hope your relationship will go well and.. I really hope this time she is the one for you :). I know you like dating lots of girls in our school and breaking up with them is just like nothing for you, but I hope you can understand from a girl’s point of view that breaking up is a big issue. So please.., treat her well.. for me… Okay, so back to my situation. I didn’t contact you for a week because I did something bad. Something really wrong. Its a sin. It was a fucking mistake. I hung out with Jackie last week at a bar.. ikr I actually WENT to a bar. It was a first for me, plus Jackie is one of the coolest person in our school so I thought hanging out with her is a golden opportunity for me. Unfortunately I was wrong, So yea, as cliche as it sounds.. I got drunk. Like those typical high school teenagers who party till they get really fucking drunk kind of drunk. All I can remember so far are just bits and pieces. Fragments of the past. I just remember kissing someone. He kissed me too. Like real hard. And my god, we did the worst thing you could ever imagine Zach. And I am just embarrassed. I woke up the next morning… and I saw myself naked. What’s worse is I felt a pair of hands lying on my body. I hated every moment of it. Before I knew it, I just felt so uncontrolled. I felt like a psycho. I took the pillow and I covered the guy’s face. Yeah, I choked him. He kept screaming but I shut him up by pressing the pillow even harder. Soon, he stopped moving. Everything became so quiet. I felt at peace for once. I don’t even know who that guy was. I didn’t even care who the fuck he was. After what I did, I quickly just changed and left the filthy place. I thought until now I could forget what happened, but I was wrong. That event will forever haunt me. The worst has already happened, Zach. I found out that I’m pregnant. Can’t you believe it? PREGNANT! How am I going to explain this to my parents? I knew I had to tell someone about this.. I was going to tell you about it.. But after I saw you confessing to Claire about your affection towards her.. how you looked at her like she’s your whole god damn world.. I knew I couldn’t break my news to you.. I don’t want you to care for me more than Claire.. I don’t want to be a burden to you.. I guess I can never really show you my love towards you huh.. hahaha..haha.. I’m just a fucking loser.. a slut… I’m sorry Zach, but I must go.. I.. I can’t.. I’ll see you next time… if there’s ever a next time..

        Sincerely,
  Jadie


Zach never realised but his tears were falling from his cheeks as he finished reading Jade’s message to him. He’s a crying mess. “Why… why did you never told me this..”, Zach falls to his feet and hugs his legs. “I’m sorry.. I’m sorry Jade.. I should have known…” Zach takes out his phone and tries calling Jade again. This time, the line is dead.

You May Also Like

0 comments